Daily Prompt: What’s the one luxury you can’t live without?
Before I answer the question, I have a few of my own. What is considered a luxury in this day and age? From who’s point of view are we determining the definition? Am I to base what is and what is not a luxury on the society I live in or on a more global perspective?
For example, do we for the purposes of this exercise consider electricity and clean tap water to be luxuries? They certainly are for a vast majority of people – whether this is as it should be is of course an entirely separate matter. Or, do we now, in the 21st century, consider these to be essential, meaning that the millions who do without are lacking in an essential commodity? Possibly.
So, if we consider the question based on the assumption that electricity and running water are essential, then the question is what, other than these, are luxuries I couldn’t live without?
These days, I am so lucky to have the luxury of time. Time to myself, to write, to think, to figure things out, to daydream and watch the shadows move across my garden. For that, I am thankful beyond measure. I’m not sure I could give up that luxury, coming as it did when I needed it most. But perhaps I could change my life, theoretically, to one in which I would need less things, less money. And then it would not necessarily be a luxury but would become my daily life.
I think I could be quite happy living in a small cottage near the water and close to a village. I could maybe give up the luxury of a car if I could bike to town, although in the countryside a car could be essential rather than luxury.
I guess I could live without my washing machine if I had to but I wouldn’t be happy about it – I’d hate to wash the laundry in some nearby water source or in a basin of hand-pumped water. I like my vacuum and my dishwasher, too, but I could live without those if I had to.
Already, we are tv and video game -free but the Internet is a different story. I rely on it to write, to keep in touch with far-flug friends and family, to share our family pictures and to see theirs. But I could write and research happily using real paper and books, sitting in a library. And, for that matter, could use the library’s Internet (if it no longer qualifies as a luxury when it’s not mine).
But the one thing I would need is books. Without a doubt. Life wouldn’t be worth living if I didn’t have access to books, either my own or the library’s.
If I had to write everything down by hand, sweep instead of vacuum, wash my laundry in the river and my dishes in a bucket, if I had to go to work and didn’t have the luxury of all this writing and thinking time, I, as a spoiled person used to electricity and clean water, would bloody well need to have a coffee and a book to make it through!
Some more thoughts on luxury:
- The Man Who Had Everything | Godrick Gnomish
- Luxe | The Magic Black Book
- Luxury? Fresh Coffee! | The Ambitious Drifter
- A luxury to treasure | storyofmylife1993
- Daily Prompt: Luxury, A Poem « Vicariously Poetic
- Ah, Luxury | tuckedintoacorner
- Duncan the Sushi Roll #9 | Neva Samaki
- S. Thomas Summers | Daily Prompt: Luxurious
- I can temporarily live without… | Sue’s Trifles
- Daily Prompt: Luxurious Air Conditioning | Under the Monkey Tree
- The gems of life | Life & Times
- Men, men and more men! Daily Prompt | alienorajt
- Daily Prompt: Luxurious | Photos and writings
- Don’t Take My Loom | The Jittery Goat
- the UNCATEGORISED | Daily Prompt: Luxurious | the TRASH BASH
- A luxury I can’t live without (with a sprinkling of nostalgia) | nasehamushtaq.
- To be loved-Biggest luxury | મન ની વાત
- Suicide no. 8: Hope Grimwald | derekalanwilkinson
- Luxurious: Adam & Eve – The Happy Couple | Khana’s Web
- Daily Prompt: Luxurious ‘Ensuite’ is a must-have | littlegirlstory
- Daily Prompt: Luxury | Books, Music, Photography & Movies : my best friends
- Luxurious | Geek Ergo Sum
- Gotta Ride? | Cowgirl Up!
- Daily Prompt: Luxurious | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Can you Spot the Luxury in This Picture? | gorgeous little thieves
- Daily Prompt: Luxurious | My Atheist Blog
- Luxurious wine – Le luxe du vin | Icezine
- LUXURY | dandelionsinwind
- My BED. | Going New Places!
- Luxury by any other name… « RPMAS
- Daily Prompt: Luxurious | flow of my soul
- I Only need two really | tornin2’s Blog
- Daily Prompt: How do I live without you? My Luxury | M. L. Trefry
- Luxury | Conversations
- Vampire Maman
- Luxuries, who needs ‘em? | A mom’s blog
- A Day in the Life of our Fridge | A Day in the Life
- Luxury | Flowers and Breezes
- Daily Prompt: Luxurious | genieve celada | photography
- Daily Prompt: Luxurious – simple yet traditional combination | DCMontreal
- Daily Prompt: Luxurious – Sunny, bright, warm | SERENDIPITY
- Laughter is NOT a Luxury | Spirit Lights The Way
- No TP? No Way! | Spirit Lights The Way
- Daily Prompt: Luxurious | The Daily Post | The Blogging Path
- Daily Prompt: Luxurious » My Life, My Way, My Words
- Can’t Live Without… | Live Life Tr3mendously
- A Magical Afternoon: DP | BLUE BEAD PUBLICATIONS
- Can’t live without you… | Nekoruchii: Life of a Commoner
- Daily Prompt : Dark circles be gone!! | Valley Girl Gone Country
- Luxurious | The Nameless One
- Luxurious: Being Able to Take Everything for Granted | TallFakeBlonde
- The Daily Post challenge. | Crossroads
- I’ll Give It To You Straight | Molly Greye
- Luxuries and Values | readingwithafeather
- Luxury of having friends- a fictional story | Passionate Ambika
- Luxurious | Chronicles of a Public Transit User
- A simple luxurious choice | Le Drake Noir
- Daily Prompt; Luxurious | terry1954
- Do I really live in the lap of luxury? | Rob’s Surf Report
- Luxury | Mareship
- HOT BATHS- great days are made of these | Hellen Masido
- Technology, I need you | My Year of New Beginnings
- September 7th: “Luxury” | Kialtho Does Blogging
- Define luxury | Spunky Wayfarer
- Daily Prompt: Without You | One Starving Activist
- never ever no way give up again!!!!! | The Seminary of Praying Mantis
- ￠∞ The Grotto-man Bourgeois ∞￠ | The RunningFather Blog
- Me | Master Of Disaster
- Mirrors, Mirrors On The Walls; A Mirror Mirror For Every Wall! (My Obsession With Mirrors) | Luxe Your Life!
- Daily Prompt: Luxurious | Heron There & Everywhere
- Daily Prompt: Luxury | jennilala
- The Luxury of Clean Water…(wp daily prompt). | Daily Observations
- Daily Prompt: Luxurious | Along Life’s Road
- Daily Prompt: Luxurious 7|9 | familyphotosfoodcraft.com
- Luxury? What’s that? | My OCD Diaries
- The cat hotel: 5 star luxury | the scroobious pip
- wordly luxury | Her Broken Nibs
- Daily Prompt – Luxurious | Joe’s Musings
- Back in Reverse Part 2: Hidden Springs Inn | Adventures in the Underground