If you could fast forward to a specific date in the future, when would it be?
I’ve thought about this question from time to time, but I’ve never really come up what I felt was a significant enough event.
I can think of years and dates and events from the past, mine and the world’s, that I would like to visit. But the future? Nothing.
Maybe it’s because I learned from Doc Brown that you really shouldn’t mess with the future. I don’t want to know, because knowing would prompt me to want to fix things. And I know not to interfere. Because Back to the Future. And not fixing things would be harder than fixing them.
It becomes a very complicated question.
So, searching for inspiration, I asked my eight-year-old son the question.
“My birthday. No, wait! Halloween. No, Tuesday. Definitely Tuesday.”
Because I will be at my bookbinding class and, consequently, his favourite babysitter will be hanging out with him.
Simple question, simple answer.
It is the one day he is currently looking most forward to.
Such is the purity of spirit, and purity of mind, of a child. We could all learn a lot from this way of thinking.
Talk about living in the moment.
It’s like the coupons he got in his stocking this year: there were a few granting him amnesty from changing the sheets on his bed each week, and a few more getting him out of his chores.
We tried recommending that he spread them out throughout the year. A little treat every now and then. But no, he is using them back to back…to back.
I sigh because of course when he cashes them in, I’m the one doing the chores.
But there is a certain purity to this thought process as well.
He is living in the moment. Fully present. Seizing the day. Looking to the simple pleasures in life.
Something my adult brain can’t apparently grasp. I guess it’s something I need to work on because even after this wonderful child-led epiphany, I can’t think of a date I’m so excited about that I’d head off to it immediately if given the chance.
Or perhaps I’m selling myself short; maybe I really am in the moment. So in the moment that I don’t even want to fast forward a few days. I’m here, now, where I’m supposed to be. And I’m happy with that.
But if I could just have a taste of Maine in the summer, I wouldn’t say no.
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- Enjoying your moment « From One Crazy Life To Another
- Just before the Suddenlies | A Teacher’s Blog
- Prayer of a young soul | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- DP Daily Prompt: Fast Forward | Sabethville
- A Reason For No Daily Prompt Today | The Jittery Goat
- Living In The Moment – Creating A Future | Shrine of Hecate – Ramblings of a New Age Witch
- Escapism | dandelionsinwind
- This Moment | My Little Avalon
- Daily Prompt: Fast Forward | Incidents of a Dysfunctional Spraffer
- Fast Forward to the Future: A Haiku; Saturday, January 11, 2014 | LisaRosier.com
- Jumping forward in time | Post Departum Depression
- A future without chronic illness | Daily Prompt: Fast Forward | Ireland, Multiple Sclerosis & Me
- The Recovery Time Machine | THE OVERCOMING
- The Future | Kate Murray
- daily prompt: fast forward | aimanss…
- S. Thomas Summers | Godzilla is My Writing Coach
- Where To? | Flowers and Breezes
- Daily Prompt: Fast Forward « Mama Bear Musings
- Fast Forward | Momma Said There’d Be Days Like This
- Daily Prompt: Fast Forward | tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice
- Past the Hurdles « Mon Cache
- Fast Forward to Waking up From Surgery | My Play Nook
- Hope to Reality | meanderedwanderings
- A World of Humanity | all my likes
- “Butterflies are Free” | Hope* the happy hugger
- Daily Prompt : Forward | Chronicles of a Public Transit User
- Daily Prompt: Fast Forward | Finding Life
- Daily Prompt: Fast Forward | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow… | LenzExperiments
- Fast Forward | A mom’s blog
- Running deer (Forward) | photo potpourri
- Fast Forward to February | Heart And A Half
- Daily Prompt: Fast Forward | Under the Monkey Tree
- Fast Forward Amish Race | Lisa’s Kansa Muse ~ Dreamy abstraction in a 100 year old Four Square Farm House
- Daily Prompt: Fast Forward | Petite Powerhouse
- Daily Prompt: Fast Forward | “The Ish,” presented by the Bohemian Rock Star
- FORWARD….March!! | Active Army Wife
- Daily Prompt: Fast Forward | Heron There & Everywhere
- Fast Forward | Raspberry’s Daydreams
- It’s My re-Birthday! | Haiku By Ku
- Daily Prompt Challenge ~ Forward | soletusknow
- Life Love Lily
- DP: >> | Scorched Ice
- Twenty-seven year bore | shame
- Tomorrow | Life is great
- Fast Forward | johnny ojanpera
- To rewind or fast forward… | From diapers and tutus to meetings and boardrooms
- Fate | Daily Prompt | Word Disorder
- Evidence | The Land Slide Photography
- Daily Prompt: Fast Forward | A Clueless Monkey’s Thoughts
- Fast Forward | The Nameless One
- “Pee here now.”/Daily Prompt | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- No words. | Dreams to Reality !
- Daily Prompts: Forward | A Life That is Full and Felt | Gradual Thought
- Daily Prompt: Fast Forward. Must I? | Mishe en Place
- My future in Friday Night Lights | The Flavored Word
- The needs of the small people | TJ Barker
- 2015 « ayimas
- Daily Prompt: Fast Forward | I really just pretend to know stuff
- Daily Prompt: Fast Forward | A Room of One’s Own
- I Am Enough | sunshine in winter
- A Distorted Mind. | W.T.F.
- Why I Can’t Enjoy Sundays | Because Dragons Don’t Phase Me
- Daily Prompt: Fast Forward | Occasional Stuff
- Prompted Ponderings – ‘Fast Forward, Daily Prompt’ | Hemsleberrious
- B.O.G.O. Part 2~ The Frozen North | The Fiction of Michael R. Wilson
- Forward in time? | Willow’s Corner
- Keep Moving Forward | The Christian Gazette
- Always… | Words ‘n Pics…
- Heroism and Moving Forward.. | Life Objectified.
- Apocalypse | vic briggs
- Daily Prompt: Pictures Showing Fast Forward! | Daily Prompt & Blogging Progress
- Fast Forward | The untold, the unsaid…
- Good Prompt Today! Daily Prompt: Fast Forward | King Pollux the Writer
- Is Cruelty To Animals Increasing? Fast Forward To Utopia | lynnesartandsoul