Written in response to today’s Daily Prompt: Are writing prompts a useful exercise, or do you find them to be too limiting and/or hokey? Photographers, artists, poets: show us SNEAKY.
When I began blogging, I felt I had so many stories, so many thoughts exploding in my mind that I needed to write them down, and I wanted to share them. I also wanted to share with others my struggle with stress, how I was coping, and my exploration of where I was in my life and where I needed to go next. Blogging made that possible, even easy.
As I have poured my thoughts and stories out into the WordPress stratosphere, I have been happy to receive comments, followers, encouragement and suggestions. I have been happy to meet others who are writing for similar, or dissimilar, reasons. I have been happy to be able to “meet” wonderful people, whose writing and comments I always look forward to reading.
The Daily Prompts help to connect people, and I have noticed my readership increase as I have begun to post regularly through them. Daily Prompts also help when my brain is feeling tired, and unmotivated.
There are times the Daily Prompt just doesn’t speak to me, and then I go on my merry way and write about other things. And there are times I am so tired or unmotivated, or otherwise occupied, that even the Daily Prompt can’t get me writing.
But most days, I look forward to receiving the prompt. I used to miss it, as I only had it coming through my reader, and with so many other posts it sometimes was lost in the shuffle. But I changed the settings so that it is the only WordPress email I get, and now I know that at about 8 am each day, I will receive a fresh idea to write about. Sometimes, I have the time and the inspiration to sit down and write something right away. Other days, I ruminate on the topic while I go about my other tasks, and only sit down to post before I go to bed.
I have not yet come across an idea that I found to be hokey, and as we all have the freedom to respond as we wish, or to not respond at all, it is certainly not limiting. There is even the option to sneakily write about something that seems completely unrelated, until the last sentence, at which point I sometimes have an epiphany and realize that I can link my idea back to the prompt.
Creative writing indeed.
Here are some thoughts on the topic from other bloggers:
- Picking flowers. Processed with Android Lomo Camera app | Bright Moments Catcher
- The party is over | Agrifun.com
- Garlic. Processed with Android Lomo Camera app | Bright Moments Catcher
- Colors Contrast. Processed with Android Lomo Camera app | Bright Moments Catcher
- Dandelions. Processed with Android Lomo Camera app | Bright Moments Catcher
- Leave your bicycle at home | Agrifun.com
- The Bell. Processed with Android Lomo Camera app | Bright Moments Catcher
- Sneaky Questions Require Sneaky Answers | Eyes Through The Glass – A Blog About Asperger’s
- Daily Prompt: | Under the Monkey Tree
- Agrifun: From City Slicker to Potato Picker | Bright Moments Catcher
- Daily Prompt: Sneaky | Books, Music, Photography & Movies : my best friends
- Daily Prompt – A Little Sneaky | Kate Murray
- Thoughts on Blogging | We Live In A Flat
- You Prompt Me [Daily Prompt: A Little Sneaky] | unknowinglee
- Daily Prompts; Aren’t Perfect, That’s The Bloggers Job | The Jittery Goat
- To prompt or not to prompt, that is the question… | The Rider
- Clowns To The Left of Me, Jokers To The Right | JuSt ViSiTiNG THiS PLaNeT…
- A Little Sneaky | Geek Ergo Sum
- Daily Prompt: A Little Sneaky « Mama Bear Musings
- Daily Prompt: A Little Sneaky | Motherhood and Beyond
- An honest answer from randomness | Phelio a Random Post a Day
- Sneaky | A mom’s blog
- Nothing wrong with a little nudge in the right direction | thoughtsofrkh
- Just a spoonful of prompting can make the writers pen note down, in the most delightful way! | The life of T
- sneaky is as sneaky does | wannabepoet
- On Prompts & Writing | The Temenos Journal
- Rolf Harris: maybe he was tying down more that just his kangaroo | DCMontreal
- Sneaky: A Prompt About Prompts | suzie81’s Blog
- A Little Sneaky | Shilpa Sharma Online
- Sneaky | Hope* the happy hugger
- Those Hokey Writing Prompts And Why I Need Them | Bright Tuesday
- Daily Prompt – A Little Sneaky | Joe’s Musings
- Daily Prompt: A Little Sneaky | Of Glass & Paper
- Daily Prompt: A Little Sneaky | The Daily Post | The Blogging Path
- Daily Prompt: A little sneaky but more than a bit odd | SERENDIPITY
- “A Little Sneaky” | Relax
- Daily Prompt: A Little Sneaky | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt: A Little Sneaky | College Girl Dai
- Sleepers, for me, always WAY more fun than flashy or fancy. | Lord Aoshi’s Latest Finds
- Delicate Revenge | shame
- A Little Sneaky | The Nameless One
- How about them Daily Prompts! | Everyday Adventures