The full moon hangs high in the sky, broad, clear and silver. A girl, about 20, slips out into the night, into a shimmering garden. It is mid-summer.
The garden already forms a circle around her, a wide, round green lawn, bordered by hydrangeas, lilies, lilacs, cowslips, foxgloves – all manner of blossoms and leaves.
She breathes deeply and sets down her instruments in their proper places:
A pale yellow feathered quill, cradled in a silver inkwell the shape of a woman’s face, and a stick of incense. These represent the element of air – the spring, the dawn, the east.
A red candle in a silver candlestick holder is for her fire – summer, noon, south.
A midnight-blue moon-adorned cup filled with water signifies for her water, autumn, evening, west.
A small plant, leafy, its earth adorned with small pebbles, is her earth, her winter, her midnight, her north.
A pale clay oil burner sits in the centre, a small votive candle below heating the essential oil–tinged water above.
She whispers, breathless, sweeping a circle around herself and her instruments in a swirl of white cotton. She is inside, and the world beyond the garden fades away.
She feels the energy of the full moon as it casts its beams upon her and she absorbs this, radiates beneath it. Placing her hands on the dewy ground, she breathes in, absorbing the steady power of the earth up, up through her body to the top of her head. As she exhales, she presses the overflowing chatter of her day, the world outside this moment, down through her hands and back into the earth. It is another circle, a circle within a circle, within a circle, underneath the watchful globe of the moon.
After a time, she removes her hands from the earth, opens her eyes and dismantles the circle. Pausing, she looks up just in time to see a tiny pure white winged creature flit through a moonbeam, disappearing into the darkness on the other side.
The magic of a full-mooned night.
Other bloggers’ thoughts on nighttime and the full moon:
- Rural Russia. Welcome! | Bright Moments Catcher
- Godrick Gnomish
- Sunset | Agrifun.com
- Welcome to Russia | Agrifun.com
- Agrifun: From City Slicker to Potato Picker | Bright Moments Catcher
- Daily Prompt: The Full Moon | Fasting, Food and other musings by determined34
- Daily Prompt: Nighttime | Books, Music, Photography & Movies : my best friends
- Daily Prompt: The Full Moon | Under the Monkey Tree
- Moon Dream: response to Daily Prompt | alienorajt
- Daily Prompt: Nighttime | DCMontreal
- When was the last full moon? | Sue’s Trifles
- The Goddess | Sincerely, Ms. Roberts
- Moonwashed in Rann of Kutch | Life is a Vacation
- A new and different me | Life & Times
- Daily Prompt: The Full Moon | littlegirlstory
- Daily Prompt: The Full Moon | The Land Slide Photography
- Think she is being good? | We Live In A Flat
- An Evening at the Fair | It’s a wonderful F’N life
- Changes the full moon brings | Journey of a Dutch Witch
- Fool Moon (short fiction) | The Jittery Goat
- The Whole of the Moon | Nicki
- Nightfall | Andante Cantabile
- Two for Tuesday – Nighttime | Tommia’s Tablet
- Daily Prompt: The Full Moon | Faraziyya
- Daily Prompt: The Full Moon | Words We Women Write
- Daily Prompt; The Full Moon | terry1954
- Night | Vampire Maman
- Full Moon – A poem | JuSt ViSiTiNG THiS PLaNeT…
- Peaceful Gaze [Daily Prompt: The Full Moon] | unknowinglee
- Lycanthrope (Huitain) | Liars, Hypocrites & The Development of Human Emotion
- Moon on the rise | I Didn’t Just Wake Up This Morning with a Craving
- The numinous moon-imous | Random Encounters of an Inquisitive Mind
- “The Full Moon” | Relax
- Daily Prompt: The Full Moon | Kevin says the randomest things
- The Reckless Me. | ayimas
- Night | stubblytroll
- Not About You | clarior e tenebris
- Daily Prompt: The Full Moon | Completely Disappear
- The Were-Cap : The Full Moon | thanks for letting me autograph your cat
- snippet: Insomnia | cellarfloor
- The Full Moon | Blue Loft
- Dancing In The Moonlight | Breathing Space
- The Full Moon Me | Ty
- •Ø• too full moon •Ø• | The RunningFather Blog
- Daily Prompt: The Full Moon | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt: Night in the City | SERENDIPITY
- Daily Prompt: The Full Moon (or I don’t like opposite day…) | Anne Squared
- A moon’s memory | shame
- ON A FULL MOON. | Fiction O’Clock
- Nighttime on the Hiking Trail… | The Rider
- Daily Prompt: the full moon « Equitherapy
- Night Time….daily-prompt-nighttime | Daily Observations
- The Full Moon | stubblytroll
- Daily Prompt: The Full Moon | prettyswan
- The Full Moon And The Call Of The Wild! | The Political and Social Chaos Blog
- Nighttime Royalty | The Magic Black Book
- Daily Prompt: The Full Moon | My Atheist Blog